Almost in panic! Christmas festival is only one month away. And I only have time for one more item, this time it will be tuscan table. Lots of work here – carved legs with lots of details, turned parts, marquetry top, drawers… This table is kinda huge for me, legs are 7mm thick, quite unusual for me.
After almost three fantastic weeks on holiday I managed to get back to work and finish this rococo revival settee. I didn’t expect that upholstery would take so much time, but you’ll never know.
Well, it’s almost done. Now I need to make an uphosltery. I covered the settee with paper so that it wouldn’t distract from the carving. Uphosltering should be fun – it’s very complicated form to me, but I’ll just have to do it. Carving itself was fun, though it was tricky sometimes to get all the parts together seamlessly.
Wow, I thought it would be much more difficult to make it work! This settee is quite a challenge. The back is very interesting, so I had to figure out the workflow for it. Despite using 3d software I still needed to rely on my own measuring skills.
Now the fun part began – carving, lots and lots of it! I “finished” 2 parts, another 2 on the way. I hope that the next week will be all about upholstery, fingers crossed!
It’s good to be back after such a long break!
It’s another commission for me. Quite complicated piece of furniture, but I hope to get through it. I’ll be using pear wood again, not steamed but I’d say “smoked” pear, it had a beautiful chocolate brown color. Btw, not cheap at all, but I like it even more than steamed one.
I started from the lower part of the settee, main frame and cabriole legs, lots of carving there!
Well, it’s finally time to make side cabinets for my art nouveau sofa. Here it is:
I don’t even remember why I didn’t make them, I started making carved panels, they are somewhere, in one of five huge boxes with scrap wood, hehe. I won’t waste my time on looking for them. It’s much easier to make new ones. Besides I had a very rough sketch in Google Sketchup, so I made a new one in Rhino. So far so good, I found quite good mahogany strips, though I still need to make lots of veneer, 2mm.
Art nouveau bed is finished. I really like the result. It looks quite old, just what I wanted to achieve with staining pearwood.
I started making a bed, you can see some carving in progress on the photo above. And I think I’ll make a chair for the dresser I made earlier, both would look great together. But it will be after the bed and couple of bedside tables. I’m using pearwood again, it’s very light in color as you can see, so it’ll need some staining too.
And my new addition – this Proxxon sander, they have a bigger model but I decided on this smaller one. Suits my needs perfectly.
I’d make some jigs for it, but don’t have time for it at all, to be honest. Well, back to work! Have a nice day!
Finished this wonderful dresser yesterday. The original design is by some of the German architectors circa 1900. I’m planning to make a bed, couple of bedside tables and a chair.